Some of you know that I was bound and determined to have this little guy last Friday. Well, I had a few things to do first, so I did all the morning stuff, cut Zack and Seth's hair, gave them baths, and cleaned my bathroom. By 1:00, the three older kids were off playing with friends, so I took the boys over to my parents house so Seth could have a nap. At 1:30 I sent Roman a text message and asked him to come home, cuz we were going to the hospital! I still wasn't having any real consistent contractions, but as I mentioned earlier, the doc said if I went to the hospital at a 4 or 5, they probably wouldn't send me home.
So we get there around 2:20 and go up to Labor and Delivery triage. They bring me in and get me going on the monitor (in my little heart, I knew there wouldn't be much action on the monitor). We sat there for about 20 minutes and I think I had 3 contractions at the most. So the nurse sent me walkin (I was in "the gown" by the way - although she gave me second gown to wear the opposite direction - like a robe - so I'd have FULL COVERAGE on the backside!).
So off we went. First we went down the hall and visited my little sister, Carolee, who was working that day. She is a nurse in the NICU. So we got to visit with her for a minute (I wanted to keep moving!). Roman kept getting caught up with all the pictures/stories/news on the walls, so I was walking by myself at times - pacing back and forth to him. We went up to the 8th floor to the new mommy/baby unit. I walked by the window of babies (although only one was in the nursery at that time) and was even more determined to be holding my baby, rather than my belly, in a few hours! I refused to look at people in the eye - I didn't want the "oh, that poor miserable thing - she really wants to have that baby!" look.
Well, that was a very long hour. About 45 minutes into it I had to use the potty. I went back to triage and my nurse was talking on the phone to my doctor at that moment! After I used the restroom, the nurse told me that my doc said to send me home if I hadn't progressed. (GROWL!!!) I said, "That's not what he told me two days ago!! He's forgotten!" For some reason he was thinking I was set to be induced this coming Monday... At this point I was ready for a fight. There was no way I was going home today!! So I asked the nurse to unlock the stairwell (they leave it locked for security), and let me do the stairs!!! After 10 minutes of 3 flights up 5 flights down (and a short elevator ride), I was back in triage. She asked about my contractions in the past hour - I had no idea. All I knew was that my lower back was aching. So she put the monitor back on me and my doctor called again. While she talked to him, she checked me and I was at a...... FIVE!!! So doc asks if I want an epidural and tells the nurse to admit me. She leaves the room and I look at Roman and say "YES!" (you know, the way our little kids do - with the hand action and everything).
At 4:45 pm I get into my L&D room and get hooked up to an IV and she drew my blood, and she said in about 1 hour I could get the epidural (in my mind I was OK with this since I had zip-o pain!).
At 5:45 the doctor comes in to break my water and check me... holy cow - I was at an 8 and he said my cervix was "melting away - fast"!! Roman had just gone downstairs to get some dinner, so I called him and said - "hurry up!". At this point, I was still not feeling much of anything (how in the heck did that happen!?!?).
At 6:15 I got the epidural. I think at this point I felt one strong contraction. They are still around 5-7 minutes apart. An hour later, I was still at an 8 (7:15 pm). So at about 7:30 they hooked me up to pitocin. At 7:50 the nurse checked me and I was at a 9! At 8:05 (I had been feeling the *pressure* at this point) she checked me and I was at a 10 and ready to go! The nurse called the doctor, who said he'd be with us in 6 minutes (he was at home with his family). So we waited - fairly easily thanks to that epidural! Doctor arrived and got all ready and there we all were - I was literally "in the spot light" as we stared at each other waiting for the next contraction (they never did get super close!). Just as the nurse increased the pitocin level, the contraction started. Doctor said that baby was still up in the birth canal and it may take a few pushes. Time to push!! Suddenly I hear a "splash" - a whole ton of amniotic fluid burst out of me and sprayed everywhere - everyone said "Whoa!" and I thought the baby had landed on the floor! No worries - it was just his head that I delivered in half a push!! Doc said "Stop pushing!!" and was able to pull the shoulders out one by one and before I knew it, I was holding my little Logan!!
"MY DADDY IS MY HERO!"
Sunday after church Roman brought all five of the kids up to see Logan. Here are proud big brothers Zack and Aaron.
8 peeps sharin the love!:
Okay Cathy, it is just not fair how good you looked in your before pictures and after. You would never guess you were the mom of six. Your babies are gorgeous and little Logan is beautiful. Congrats to you and Roman!
He is so cute! I can't believe you have 6 kids! He definately has that Yoder look to him! I'm glad you got to have him on Friday :)
Good Luck!!
Congrats! He is very very cute!!
Congrats, you have such a cute family.
Those darn doctors! I love your determination! That is awesome. You don't look like you just had a baby, where's the "puffy-I am miserable" face?!?
Congratulations!
Cathy, he could not be any cuter. He is absolutely adoreable!! Tell Megan I said "Hello" and I wish you much rest!! I love that you started "the stairs". That must be the determination that Megan inherited.
Yeah! Congratulations, Cathy! That's so wonderful. He's beautiful and you look great. I loved reading your story and seeing all the pictures.
-Rachel
Awesome Job. Cute little guy. Nice name too, My little logan (well not so little anymore) will be so excited to here about him
Post a Comment